LAKELAND, Fla. (970 WFLA) – CSX is making railroad track repairs at the I-4 Kathleen Road overpass in Lakeland that require closure of the highway under the bridge for safety.
Today, March 29, until 8 p.m., I-4 is closed westbound between US 98, Exit 32, and West Memorial Boulevard, Exit 28. All westbound traffic will be diverted onto US 98 and the local road network.
Today, motorists traveling westbound I-4 through to Tampa are encouraged to use Exit 41, the Polk Parkway, and follow the 25-mile detour to reconnect with I-4 at the Hillsborough County Line. While the westbound detour is in place, Polk Parkway tolls are suspended at all mainline and ramp toll plazas serving westbound traffic, only.
Tomorrow, March 30, from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m., I-4 will be closed eastbound between West Memorial Boulevard, Exit 28 and US 98, Exit 32 All eastbound traffic will be diverted onto West Memorial Boulevard and the local road network.
Tomorrow, motorists traveling eastbound I-4 through to Orlando are encouraged to use Exit 27, the Polk Parkway, and follow the 25-mile detour to reconnect with I-4 just west of State Road 559. While the eastbound detour is in place, Polk Parkway tolls are suspended at all mainline and ramp toll plazas serving eastbound traffic, only.
Photo Credit DOT
Motorists who choose to follow the Polk Parkway detour should be aware of the following:
· Motorists should slow down when approaching the toll plaza, but should not stop. Vehicles behind you will not be expecting you to stop.
· Be prepared for delays or sudden, unexpected stops near the toll plazas; maintain proper spacing between vehicles.
· All Polk Parkway entrance and exit ramps between mileposts 2 and 23 remain open during the detour.
· The posted speed limit of 25 m.p.h. near the toll plazas will be strictly enforced. Speeding fines double through the toll plazas when workers are present.
· The northern/eastern seven miles of the Polk Parkway (between mileposts 18-25) is a two-lane roadway, featuring two-way traffic.
· No passing is permitted between mileposts 18-25.
· Motorists who have a SunPass or E-Pass in their vehicle will not be charged a toll.
· Do not attempt to back up in a toll lane.
· Stay in your lane when exiting the toll plaza. Attempting to change lanes or jockey for position near the plaza will only result in additional delays and backups and could result in a crash.
· Do not pull over and exit your vehicle near a toll plaza. If your vehicle becomes disabled, pull over into the grass on the right side of the roadway, turn on your hazard lights and wait inside your vehicle for help to arrive.
· Additional law enforcement personnel will be patrolling the Polk Parkway this weekend to ensure the safety of motorists.
Maps of the I-4 detour and the Polk Parkway are attached. For more information on the I-4 detours, call DebbieTower at 239-225-1900 or Sandra Mancil at 863-519-4116. For information about the Polk Parkway or toll suspensions, call Christa Deason at 407-264-3492.